Vattenfall and HYBRIT in focus at the UN Climate Change Conference
The UN Climate Change Conference COP 25 is now in progress. Vattenfall is present to inspire others in the industry to reduce its dependency on fossil fuels.
The UN Climate Change Conference COP 25 started last week in Madrid. This week, political decision makers will be arriving, bringing the conference into a new phase. Also, Vattenfall's representatives are in place to share insights into what kind of contribution the HYBRIT project can make in climate issues. HYBRIT is a Swedish-based development project to produce fossil-free steel.
COP 21 in Paris in 2015 saw the coming about of the Paris Agreement to limit the temperature increase to under 2 degrees. Since then, the annual COP meetings have dealt with defining the rules for enabling fulfilment of the agreement in reality. This year's meeting aims to ensure that the international trade of emission allowances results in actual reductions in emissions and that emissions do not decrease in one place only to increase in another.
HYBRIT in focus
This year, the HYBRIT project plays a more prominent role than before. It was during the Climate Summit in New York in September that Sweden and India took the initiative to create a group of countries and companies tasked with identifying measures to drive the industry to transition into a fossil-free direction, not least with regard to increased electrification. There, HYBRIT was highlighted as being one of the most ambitious projects for reducing CO2 emissions in the industry.
Cecilia Hellner, Head of Public and Regulatory Affairs Nordic at Vattenfall
On site to inspire others
During COP 25, the Leadership Group for Industry Transition will be attending a meeting, on Monday, 9 December. Among others, the three companies that own and drive HYBRIT, Vattenfall, mining company LKAB and steel manufacturer SSAB, will be participating. Cecilia Hellner, Head of Public and Regulatory Affairs Nordic, will be representing Vattenfall.
"We are mainly present to inform and inspire. The HYBRIT technology has the potential to be used anywhere there is political intent – and fossil-free energy, and the steel industry is currently responsible for 7 per cent of all carbon dioxide emissions globally. But, for this, politicians need to take a long-term view and set ambitious targets," she says.
Vattenfall is also participating in a number of other COP 25 events, see fact box.
Facts about COP 25
- The UN Climate Change Conference COP 25 is being held in Madrid between 2 and 13 December 2019.
- Over 195 countries are expected to participate in this year's conference.
- COP stands for "Conference of the Parties" and is held annually in different countries.
Vattenfall will be participating in several events during COP 25
- 9 December: Leadership Group for Industry Transition. Vattenfall's Cecilia Hellner will be participating with LKAB and SSAB. A number of EU countries and companies will also participate.
- 10 December: EU climate day. Elina Kivioja, Finland's Country Manager, will be representing Vattenfall in a panel discussion on how innovation can lead to climate-smarter technology.
- 12 December: "EU climate technologies II – Fossil-free steel". Vattenfall's Cecilia Hellner will be participating with LKAB and SSAB . Sweden's Minister of Environment, Isabella Lövin, and Mauro Petriccione, European Commission, are keynote speakers.
- 12 December: Cecilia Hellner will be participating in a panel discussion on IKEA's goals of becoming climate-positive by 2030.